To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Out of the saddle and into the classroom

The local Christian homeschool cooperative that we are involved in starts Wednesday. I signed up to teach "Hippology" to two different groups, 15 3rd and 4th graders (combined class) and 16 5th and 6th graders (combined class). I plan to take Breezy (Brian's pony) and/or Russell as often as weather and time permits, because things like conformation, gaits, color and markings are ever so much more interesting to learn on a real, live horse. (The church where we hold the co-op has a large grassy area beside the back parting lot; I have permission to use that area for the "real horse" parts of class.) Since Russell is so good on the lunge line, I had planned to use him to show the kids walk, trot and canter, but I'm going to see how Breezy lunges and use her if possible. If she's not sharp to voice commands, I'll put Professional's Choice Sports Medicine Boots on Russell's front legs and use him.

I know I'll have some students with horse experience, and a lot with NO experience. I hope I can make it fun and interesting for all!

No comments: