To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Monday, July 8, 2013

Romancing the pony

The other day I looked out the window and saw this:

My innocent young boy seemed to be falling for an older woman! Breezy didn't give him the time of day, though, so eventually he lost interest.

Oliver has always claimed Breezy as his "woman," so I was a little surprised that he wasn't taking issue with Lance's attention. Later, though, I saw Ollie romancing Breezy. When she ignored him as well, Ollie started little strafing runs around her, galloping and bucking, stopping to see if she noticed, and then ripping off again. It was hilarious!

In another observation of herd dynamics, I saw Lance harassing Rick's old cutting horse Sammy today. A friend who visited over the weekend mentioned seeing one horse herding one of the others round and round; I'm afraid what I saw today wasn't new. I suppose we may have to do something to keep the old guy safe.

Schooling has been going well as I work on the instruction we got from Julie. I'm hauling over for one more lesson this week, then we're on our own until after the show.

No comments: