To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Inspiration for the coming year(s)

Recently I learned about Fynn (click on his name to read a Chronicle of the Horse article on him) on one of the horse blogs I follow. Fynn's accomplishments are impressive in and of themselves; the backstory makes them the stuff of fairy tales! Here are some year-old videos of Fynn on YouTube:





I think he looks remarkably like Lance; they are even the same height. (Interestingly, several people have said they think Lance looks like a draft cross, which Fynn is; personally, I don't see it in Lance.) I would be thrilled to dance at that level one day with Lance; one can't dream much higher than competing successfully at Grand Prix!

Or can one? I've always said I want to keep riding until I die; that's an even more important goal to me than competing at Grand Prix. So I was thrilled to read that Carey Evans was honored at the 2013 Oregon Dressage Society Awards Banquet. In 2006, 84-year-old Carey was the first woman from the Northwest to qualify for the Dressage Foundation's prestigious "Century Club," winning her class on her homebred 16-year-old Hanoverian/TB mare. Now 91 years old, Carey still rides. Here, here!

********************************************

Lance and I had a great schooling session today. We repeated the exercises Julie had us do yesterday, and must have done them correctly because we both worked up a sweat and got good results. Then we walked down the lane to get the mail and cool out. I don't know if we'll be able to go to the beach to ride tomorrow, but we WILL ride. :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's good to have dreams, even lofty ones, as long as you keep your feet firmly in the irons. ;)

I hope you'll get to ride at the beach tomorrow!

Theresa said...

Quite the back story on Fynn. I remember when PMU mares and foals flooded the rescue market and I have to LOL about Fynn starting out as a camp horse. No doubt that prepared him in some way for his life to follow.
Hope the beach ride starts the new year off on the right hoof for you and congrats on a great training session!