To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Third time wasn't charmed

Friday I took Lance out for our third ride, and he was even naughtier than before! Since I had ridden him down our lane and across the paved road, we were not in as safe a place for him to carry on with his bucking and bull-headedness, so I ended up dismounting (very quickly, when I saw a motorcycle approaching that I was certain would provoke more reaction) and leading him home. He got plenty of schooling nonetheless; every time he jigged, I stopped and backed him up briskly; he could only proceed at a polite, flat-footed walk. If he didn't back up promptly or straight, I got after him sternly. Once back in his stall I armed myself with a pocketful of treats and a bat (sticks and carrots) and continued to school him in respect and manners until he moved over or picked up his feet at a word.

With the escalation in naughtiness, riding in our arena seems the only sensible option at this point, even if I have to water it to make the footing more stable for Lance's ligaments. But I don't have to do that for today's ride, at least; hallelujah, we got some rain yesterday!

4 comments:

Theresa said...

Hmm, wonder what gives with the little devil. Horses usually aren't naughty for the sake of being naughty, at least not routinely. Of course he is a red head.....:)
Hope yesterdays ride went well!

Michelle said...

I think Lance is pitching fits over being separated from his "herd." I'm not sure why it's become such an issue, though; after his chiropractic we were riding a LOT out and about and he never acted like this. But our ride in the arena went very well; never had any problems with him there.

Mary said...

2 steps forward, 1 step back. That is the sum of my wisdom when it comes to this type of issue. For me and mine, that escalating behavior means boredom and lack of challenge (notwithstanding a physical issue, as in the case of old man Woodrow).

Michelle said...

Well, boredom and lack of challenge would fit, since he's been on stall rest and now can only walk for 30 minutes. Friday I not only reviewed his ground manners, I insisted on good manners while we rode – and did lots of figures and lateral work during a walk. Then again, I was doing quite a bit of that on our road rides and he still escalated....