To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Friday, July 17, 2015

Feelin' left out

Recently a blogpal posted photos from a dressage show she competed in. I recognized it as the same venue where Lance debuted at Training Level two years ago. Now a trainer I know and love is posting photos of her students schooling and showing at Devonwood, a gorgeous facility nearby where I have competed many times through Prix St. George, just not with Lance.

Our rides are limited to going down the lane and through whatever agricultural ground I have permission to use; there's no point in paying for a lesson with Julie when we haven't been able to school the tools she gave us last time. This is a far different reality than I used to inhabit. I miss working towards goals and getting feedback on how well we are accomplishing them; I miss the camaraderie of other equestrians; I miss getting my horse and myself spiffed up to dance in front of an audience, then entertaining questions about his breeding.

But I have much to be thankful for, and I shall focus on that....

5 comments:

Mary said...

ah, life is hard sometimes, isn't it? I have nothing but understanding and sympathy for you.

I am paired with the exact right horse for me, with my vulnerable back, and I love him and his antics. I cannot train and compete anymore but I still miss that level of equestrian sport.

Acceptance of limitations in time, ability, and health is so hard!

Alanna M said...

Sorry you aren't getting to dance like you want to. Hopefully soon!

thecrazysheeplady said...

Time issues for you or is he still having health issues?

Michelle said...

I feel the same way about Lance, Mary; I am so thankful to have him and be able to ride!

Thanks, Alanna. Keep posting about all your shows; I love reading your experiences and seeing your photos even if I can't be there right now!

Sara, it's a matter of time and money; Lance is staying sound and strong. I am keeping him out of that dry sand arena to keep him that way!

emma said...

Sorry your current riding life is taking a different shape than you're used to - glad lance is sound and strong tho. That arena will still be there for you when you're ready to return!