To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Just Do Did It!

Today's forecast was wet and windy. After doing morning chores, I started the steamer for supper hay. When the timer went off, it was just spitting rather than raining, so I pulled on my warm winter breeches and went to the barn. Once there, I waffled; the spit seemed to be getting heavier. I headed back to the house; it really wasn't that wet. I turned around and headed back towards the barn.... Wash, rinse, repeat a few times (hey, it fed the FitBit) before I told myself to Just Do It – and did!

And the whole day will feel the better for it. ;-)

We warmed up in the arena, then rode down to the mailboxes and back, doing a little lateral work, a bit of trot and even smaller bit of canter. Short; sweet. I think my mustang man is feeling better; hurray!

Now I'm back inside a warm house with a fire going in the woodstove; the wind has definitely picked up. No photos, but how about a list of things I'm thankful for – eight for the 8th of November.
  • Warm winter breeches by Boink, a gift from my husband many years ago. I misplaced them for a couple years; so glad to have found them again!
  • Warm winter gloves by Kerrits – their riding gloves, winter and summer versions both, are my favorites.
  • My saddle – inexpensive (even more so because I got it used) and synthetic, it fits both of us well and is weatherproof.
  • Our arena. As places to ride out from home become more restricted, it has become essential.
  • My handy husband, who built our arena (after the dirt work was done), and my cavaletti, and the hay steamer, and much more.
  • My professional husband, who has done so much mundane and advanced work to keep/get my horses healthy and sound over the years.
  • Fun challenges like #NoStirrupNovember.
  • Last but not least, my mustang man, Lancelot Dun Dino!

3 comments:

sylkan said...

So glad you and Lance got to have a ride, and he is feeling better. How about some photos and explanation of the hay steamer Rick built?

Kim said...

Days like this let us enjoy the nicer ones!

Michelle said...

Sylvia, go here (http://boulderneighdressage.blogspot.com/2017/07/holding-pattern.html) for photos of the one that Rick built, and here (http://www.horseandman.com/handy-tips/hubby-built-a-hay-steamer-for-me-make-your-own-hay-steamer-instructions/02/20/2012/) for the original inspiration.

That's true, Kim, although it wasn't bad once I got on and started riding.