To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Thursday, March 22, 2018

♫ Getting to know you... ♫

I visited Bentley Sunday, Tuesday and Wednesday, making progress in our relationship with each visit, as well as in his refresher training and fitness.

Having never really seen him move, I decided to put Bentley on the lunge line Sunday. He tore around, striking out with his front feet, kicking up with his back feet, generally shaped like a "U" – not surprising given his up-headed, short-coupled build. It didn't take long for him to work up a sweat, which we cooled off and dried out with a walk under saddle.

To encourage stretching over the topline, lifting the back, and using belly muscles instead of under-neck muscles, I took my side reins with me on Tuesday. I added them after lunging Bentley without them first, and he immediately reacted with some alarm. So I loosened them as much as was safe (didn't want him to get an extravagant front leg over one) until he settled down before taking up some slack. What a difference they made in his way of going; I saw the glimmer of a dressage horse in there! I took some photos and saved only the most flattering ones without and with side reins, so they don't give you an honest view of how inverted he tends to move without them. Oh – and he rarely walks without side reins....






I love that he's licking in this photo!


When I arrived on Wednesday, he came into his stall and watched me in the barn for a bit (I had to change), then went cantering off into the pasture. It was starting to rain so I told him I wasn't going to chase him around the pasture; he had to come to me – and he did. There's nothing like a willing partner to make you feel good. 😊   I followed the same routine of lunging first without, then with, side reins, and he did very well. It is clearly more tiring for him to work in a proper frame than in a "U" shape, and he struggles more going right than going left. When I mounted for our cool-out walk,  I even asked for a wee bit of trot for the first time. There won't be much of that, though, until he develops more of the muscle strength the newly reinforced way of going requires. Still, I was feeling pretty great about his progress when I left yesterday!

The arena footing is sand, and gets very dusty when we do anything other than walk. There is a sprinkler system but I haven't had a chance to ask the owner if it works and can be utilized. He was there briefly only on Sunday – and interestingly enough asked if Bentley had "bucked or anything" – a strange question from someone who told me Bentley has never bucked!

Oh – and I have learned that Bentley cribs. I've only seen him do it in one spot, only after he's worked, and his front teeth aren't worn, so I don't think he's a dedicated cribber, but it was still disappointing to see. Maybe it's supposed to keep me from getting too attached to him. 😉

2 comments:

Theresa said...

So nice to see him getting one work. Maybe with luck the cribbing habit will subside. I know very little about it, but wondering if boredom can help start the habit.

Mary said...

Good heavens! It's Nick's cousin :-) Bentley looks like he will be a great project horse and both of you will have fun. His neck is set on high, like Nick's, and it took me some great amount of time to get shoulders and topline muscled relaxed so he could carry his head in a variety of positions.
Have fun!!