To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Monday, April 30, 2018

Hot and cold, up and down

At the beginning of last week Lance and I were cleared for walking up and down the gravel lanes  and adding a bit of trot in the arena – so of course I haven't had time (mostly) or weather (sometimes) to ride as much since then. It has been nice to have a change of scenery when we get out, though!

Last week I was down at the barn for several hours shearing a sheep. Lance was resting when I arrived – something I don't often catch him doing.
Later I heard some odd, strained sounds, so I left my sheep to see what was going on. I must admit that Lance gave me a bit of a scare; he was flat out, breathing oddly, with the white of his eye and his teeth showing!
And it wasn't just his odd expression; he seemed really out of it, not immediately reacting to my voice. But eventually he snapped out of it, and appeared to be just fine.

Several hot days last week set records, but it's cooled back down. Lance has been off antihistamine for a week or two without any change, and although he doesn't have much energy, his breathing isn't "heavey." Thankful for all of that!

3 comments:

Theresa said...

Could he have been dreaming? I caught Cooper out in the pasture once, legs going , the perfect picture of a dog deep in dreams except on a really really big scale!
He finally heard me and rolled up and shook his head, snorted and got up a bit embarrassed.

Michelle said...

Yes, I think he must have been, Theresa. And I don't think it was a good one!

Mary said...

That is what I immediately thought...a dream. How scary for you Michelle. It's not often that I have seen my horses flat out asleep (as I board).