To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Sunday, January 2, 2022

A change of calendar – and clothes





Yesterday I got in my New Year's Day rides, both of them short, careful walks over sand footing frozen as hard and rough as broken concrete. My heavier chore coat was in the house for mending, so I wore my lighter chore jacket over a fleece top and fleece vest, plus my heaviest winter riding tights, wool socks, winter paddock boots, headband, and winter riding gloves. It was not enough. If Stella and I could have done more than walk I might have warmed up some, but just walking left me aching with cold. For evening chores I pulled out a warmer coat and a fleece scarf to wear with my Eddie Bauer fleece-lined pants and fared better.

By this morning it was 10 degrees warmer, then warmed up another eight degrees. The arena footing was still pretty hard, but a stiff wind was working on blowing in the next weather system (rain for days), so I decided to risk turning the horses out. Lance decided the surface was too hard for laying down and rolling, but they did get to move around – especially Stella.

I thought Stella was even more breathtaking than usual with her mane tousled and tail blowing!





Hopefully we'll be able to find some dry windows in which to ride this week.

4 comments:

Retired Knitter said...

Love those beautiful animals. Stella sure loves to kick out her rear legs. Its like she can’t release that extra energy any other way!!

Michelle said...

Elaine, she does plenty of standing on her hind legs, too. Yes, she just MUST get that energy out. Fortunately, she has not done the rearing or the kicking out under saddle!

A :-) said...

She really is a stunner - and her tail is SO long! I'm glad Lance is hanging in :-)

marlane said...

Beautiful !!