To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Monday, September 9, 2024

A run of summer fun

Stella and I DID return to Bob & Crystal Rilee Park after my last post – and to the coast! Again we joined a herd of mustangs, enjoyed perfect weather, and had even better rides. I'm thinking part of that was due to switching bits, from the bradoon I purchased specifically for Stella to the bit I used with Lance and Russell (in the header photo) before him. The two bits are the same basic design from Herm Sprenger, but the new/old one is wider, thicker, and made from a different alloy. I thought it was too big for Stella but it's not, and she seems happier with it – she definitely tosses her head less in this one:

Bob & Crystal Rilee Park has trails down either side of the road on top of a ridge. My first time there we stayed on one side of the ridge; the second tine we started out on the opposite side, took a lunch break at the trailers, then repeated some of the trails from our first ride along with some new ones.


The trails on this side of the ridge tend to be nicer.
Stella hasn't always stood reliably while tied, but she was great during lunch!

The only other mare was hobbled, so could got to wander around.

This young lady is one of Rick's veterinary assistants, on her day off.
Several of the mustangs took post-ride rolls in the dirt,

but Stella chose to graze.


Besides a great ride, Rilee Park offered something else of interest. This trailer was parked there when we came back for lunch. After looking it over as carefully as I could, I went home and did some more investigating online, and am very impressed. As much as I've enjoyed our aluminum Sooner three-horse trailer, the Equi-Trek makes much more sense, especially now that I'm the only one in the family who rides; it's smaller, lighter-weight, and costs much less than what we could get for our Sooner. There is a dealer in Oregon and I may just go take another look in hopes that I can get Rick on board with switching trailers.
It even had a bunk and wee kitchenette!

That was on August 13. Two weeks later, we hauled to the beach. This time Stella was the token Morgan in a herd of six mustangs, one of them a yearling that was ponied along wearing a bareback pad for the experience.











I'm itching for another outing, but right now we are homebound. Rick's vet truck blew its radiator last week so Rick had to drive my pulling truck, which in turn blew a water pump! He and Brian got his vet truck fixed; crossing fingers they can get 'my' truck fixed, too. In the meantime we can school in the arena, and yesterday I took Stella through the neighboring woods for the first time since late spring. I was happy to discover that someone had mowed the old path so we could do more than ride on the gravel road; I was not happy to see a deer baiting station with corn and a salt block. Seems deceitful and unsportsmanlike to me, but I suppose it's not any different than fishing with a baited hook. (And yeah, I feel sorry for the fish, too.) Guess I'd better look up the dates for hunting season.... It was not a particularly warm day and all we did was walk, but Stella still worked up a sweat that ran down her legs because she was hot to go.



4 comments:

Marlane said...

Well I think that Stella is very close to being a" finished horse" Michelle ! You have had an awesome journey with her so far and I am so happy for you. The trailer looks very much like the ones that they use in England. My preference is for ones that are more stock like that you can turn a horse around in, and has dividers. But we have four horses.

Michelle said...

Good eye, Marlane; the Equi-Trek trailers are made in the UK. Since we're down to one rideable horse, this one would let me take a friend, and I wouldn't have to have a heavy-duty truck to haul it. As for Stella, she may be "finished" but she is far from settled – but then again she will probably be a 'hot tamalé until she dies!

A :-) said...

That trailer looks very cool! How do the horses not sink into the sand??

Michelle said...

Well, they do a LITTLE, A, just like with people, depending on how dry or wet it is. But it's not quicksand, after all.