To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Year's Day report

There's no photographic evidence, but I started my new year out right. :-) Went over to where Lance is stabled with some oats to mix in with his HorseGuard and daily wormer, gave him a good grooming (including working some tangles out of his mane with Cowboy Magic), hand-walked him for awhile, then saddled him up and walked him around some more. I marveled at how opposite he and Horton are; Lance is naughty (busy, mouthy, always moving) on the ground but calm and polite under saddle, while Horton is an absolute gentleman on the ground but can be less than cooperative under saddle.

I left Lance with a happy glow in my heart, and headed home to work Horton after his "snow day." Since it's been cold, I led him out to the arena to let off some steam if he needed to – and stopped. The sand was still frozen, hard as concrete and definitely not safe for turn-out, lunging or riding. Disappointed, I led him back to his stall. Rick and I both want to evaluate how he's moving after the last injections before taking him home to Sylvia; let's hope it warms up!

No comments: