To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Beating the rain again

It is raining again, and I don't care! I had another great schooling session on Lance before it started, after doing chores (rather late) and getting Brian through two of his school subjects.

I turned Lance loose before riding again, since he didn't get out at all yesterday. I like Mary's term – a horse needs a chance to "get its ya-yas out." This time he just had the saddle on, no bridle, so when he paused to snatch a snack from the overhanging maple tree, I let him.

A thirst for the thistles coming up along the baseboard? Go for it!

As for our ride, Lance's canter departs – even the problematic right lead depart – are getting better and better. After observing his right lead canter departs in our last lesson, Julie's opinion was that the problem was attitude, not comfort or ability. Her counsel was to make sure Lance was giving me a forward, quality trot with an active inside hind before asking for the canter with correct, light aids. (I had ceased using my outside leg since it seemed to irritate him.) It was obviously good advice!

Lance is also responding better to the "coiling and releasing the spring" work at the trot. He's actually giving me some half-steps instead of trying to drop to the walk when I bring him back with strong half-halts. I'm so proud of his progress!

1 comment:

Laura said...

Thistles??? I just discovered one coming up next to one of my garden bed. I should see if Tang wants it (she will, she eats anything...). Glad you had a good ride!!