To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Back in the saddle; Happy Year of the Horse!

Although I rode in the dark and the arena was rather sloppy-wet, I did get in my hoped-for ride yesterday. Lance was very, very good – light off my leg and responsive to my other aids.

This morning I clipped Lance's bridle path. His mane needs to be shortened as well; the part he rubbed out last year is about the perfect length now.

His winter coat is not overly long or thick, but his legs sure get hairy.

No sign of shedding yet, even though the days are getting noticeably longer. The first show I'm planning to enter is on April 13; I'll get him trimmed up spiffy by then.

This afternoon I rode again (in a drier arena), and again Lance was very, very good. After schooling, we went down the lane to pick up the mail. Lance usually fidgets a bit while I'm unlocking our mailbox, getting the mail, and locking up the box again, but today he stood like a rock. What a boy!

1 comment:

Kim said...

So glad your having fun with Lance. Spring shows will be here before you know it.