To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

"Things are going great, and they're only getting better"


After a brief return to normal winter weather (i.e. rainy), it has dried out again and is supposed to remain unseasonably dry and warm for the rest of the month. Very odd, and worrisome in many ways – but good for riding, at least!

The farrier came to give pedicures to the ponies this morning, and my friend Kate hauled Dinah here to be trimmed as well. Afterwards we rode together, then switched mounts. Dinah's canter departs aren't confirmed yet and Kate is still getting her core strength back after years out of the saddle, so she asked me to canter Dinah both directions while she walked Lance around. I almost had to laugh at how different our horses feel; Dinah is like a quick, slender dragonfly to Lance's big bumblebee!

I'm going to take my bumblebee to a lesson with Julie on Thursday. Kate wants to haul Dinah along to audit during my lessons, but isn't able to this week. I shared with her some of what we've been working on that will benefit Dinah, though, and in sharing, it is confirmed and strengthened in my own mind and muscles. Win-win. For us and our equine partners, the future's so bright – like the forecast for the rest of January – we gotta wear shades!

2 comments:

thecrazysheeplady said...

I'm about ready to start shipping over to an indoor like I did last year. This weather... Glad you have a fun riding buddy :-).

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to reading about how the lesson went today.
Have you been buried in fog for the past couple of days as we've been? I envision your place on the hill as being just above this soup.