To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Beating a dead horse

I didn't beat him and he wasn't dead, but Lance certainly wasn't thrilled to be ridden twice today!

Some noise awoke me at 6:30 this morning, so I got up and used the restroom. I looked out the window as I started to crawl back into bed – and saw Lance grazing outside the barn. We've finally figured out a closure that keeps Lance in, but it doesn't do any good if someone forgets to fasten it (cough*Rick*cough). I got up again, and decided if I was going to get dressed and head to the barn, I might as well ride while my guys slept in. Lance had, after all, already had some breakfast.

It was a cool, still, gray morning. I took my time grooming and stretching Lance before tacking him up; then we headed down the road, down the hill, through the vineyard, around the peach orchard, and back. The only downside was a farm worker using a tractor-pulled sprayer in the neighbor's cherry orchard; I waited until he was on the other side of the lot and hurried by, telling Lance to hold his breath.

Later, after my DH left for an appointment and my son had finished his chores and practice, he asked if we could ride together. He didn't want to ride his pony Breezy; he wanted to ride Ollie, the squirrelly little Quarter Horse my husband usually rides. This was a significant request, given how thoroughly Ollie had shaken a much younger Brian's confidence; how could I turn it down? So Lance got saddled up a second time, along with Ollie, and we headed into the arena.

Ollie was a little tense and nervous at first, but quickly settled as I talked Brian through how to handle him. (To his credit, Oliver has been a lot saner the last two years, ever since this event, and the regular turn-out he gets during summertime helps, too.)
Brian enjoyed himself, and felt so good about his ride that he announced he wants to do it every day, retire Breezy, and his dad can get another horse. Ha! We'll see how long his interest lasts, but I will support it as much as I can while it does.

5 comments:

thecrazysheeplady said...

Good for you, Brian!

Laura said...

Good for Brian (and Ollie). I had to check the link - that was a fun time. I didn't remember seeing the last photo of Tang and me at the creek - that's a special one!

Mary said...

Wonderful post...ollie may have a new rider!

Lori Skoog said...

Ollie is beautiful and Brian looks great on him. I'm sure most horses are more sane when they have regular turnout...good move.

Anonymous said...

They look great together! It'd be wonderful if Brian develops a fast bond with Ollie.