To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Sunday, July 27, 2014

A strange aphrodisiac

Last week was a busy week for Breezy. She got all that attention from Oliver, then she made a little girl very happy, then Rick finally took the time to fully investigate a little personal problem she's been having. For some time Breezy has been very itchy, rubbing her backside against posts and panels in her stall and paddock. Eventually, she developed a smelly discharge (we wondered if this was the cause of Oliver's powerful attraction). Rick determined that she had abraded her vulva, but looked normal and healthy inside. Assuming an infection, he started her on antibiotics, but also did a biopsy just to cover the bases.

The biopsy results came back today; Breezy has squamous cell carcinoma. We will be starting her on horsey chemotherapy and hope that clears it up. Brian doesn't know yet; he returns tonight after a week-long trip with his grandma.

#############################################

It continues to be a very boring time for Lance. He's still on stall/paddock rest; Rick didn't even want me to use him for the little girl's pony ride. All I can do with him – besides keeping him fed, cleaned, and groomed – is nuzzle his muzzle and tell him I wish we do more together, too.

#############################################

All this makes bringing in the pinto mare for training very appealing. Not only would I have something to ride while Lance is laid up, Brian would have something to take on trail rides/horse-camping trips after Lance has recovered if Breezy succumbs to cancer/if the mare is still here. (Yeah; my mind goes over all the contingencies like that.) The big drawbacks are 1) shoehorning in a fourth horse; 2) using up part of our year's hay supply on a horse I have to train, show and sell before I get any return on investment; 3) getting attached to a horse I can't afford. I see #3 as potentially huge if Lance doesn't heal up to be working sound and/or Breezy has to be put down. I guess one way to handle it is to drag my feet on taking the pinto mare until I know more about how Lance is healing and see how Breezy responds to chemo. If the pinto mare is still available when I know more, I could take that as a sign that she's meant to come.

3 comments:

thecrazysheeplady said...

Argh.

A :-) said...

Oh man! I'm so sorry about Breezy - do you and Rick feel like she has a good chance to beat the cancer? Really not what you needed right now, is it? No possibility of keeping the pinto mare if you like her?

Michelle said...

Exactly, Sara.

I don't know what Breezy's chances are, Adrienne; Rick can't say. I have no funds to buy the mare if I like her. I've exchanged emails with her owner to determine current value; as I suspected she's pricing her pretty high. Not that I have ANY budget....