To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Enjoying the NOW

I had a great lesson with Julie tonight. When she wasn't available the last two Sundays, we aimed for a rare weeknight lesson, and I got everything juggled and arranged to git 'er done.

I shared with Julie that Lance is struggling with his right lead canter. After I warmed him up and worked him a bit, she suggested she get on. I always enjoy watching a professional I admire show me just how beautifully my partner can dance, so yay! It took some time to figure out, but she eventually got some excellent work from him and was able to explain to me what she was felt and what she did to fix the issues. I was then able to get on, follow her instructions, and get more of the same high quality work from my handsome horse.

We discussed the upcoming League show I plan to enter and what classes seemed best. I also shared an unpleasant revelation I had today. One of my graphics clients, my biggest one by far, will be doing their own work in-house starting in March. My very part-time graphics business is the source of my discretionary income, allowing me to get things that don't fit into our lean budget . . . things like lessons and show fees. So the upcoming show, and hopefully one more lesson from Julie leading up to it, will probably be the last in the foreseeable future. That makes me a little sad, but it's definitely a First World problem – and who really knows what the future holds?

6 comments:

Theresa said...

Oh yes, certainly enjoy now and who knows, another part-part time gig might pop up.

A :-) said...

Perhaps a little marketing is in order? Are your clients all local or can you work remotely emailing files or using ftp space?

emma said...

awesome that she was able to translate what she felt riding him into your riding too!

Michelle said...

I'm crossing my fingers about that, Theresa.

A, the problem is time. I've worked for this client for over 20 years so knew their wants and needs well and could fit their jobs in around homeschooling, parenting, and other jobs. It would be difficult to solicit and cater to new clients with the limited time and focus I have available. I do have a client in AZ so working remotely is not a problem.

Yes, I was happy about that, Emma!

Roses, Lace and Brocante said...

I can imagine a great bond is built between horse and rider Michelle.
My sons partner is the yearling manager for a horse stud in Australia - hence some of the Photos on my Waltzing Matilda post!
I've

Roses, Lace and Brocante said...

I've always been a little afraid of horses but I think they are beautiful animals.