To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Sunday, January 17, 2016

Not quite a knight in shining armor

Lancelot was more than a dressage horse on Friday; he was a little princess' steed. The neighbors finally brought their granddaughter up for that "pony ride" they asked about in November; it was the first day the weather and our schedules cooperated. Just in time, too; as the girl and her mother are flying home to France this weekend.

Before the visitors arrived, I schooled Lance. Even though he is an energy-conservor, I figured it was still good risk management. When I changed saddles to give the girl a more secure seat, Lance thought he should be DONE. I practically had to drag him back to the arena and around at a slow walk. But his motor-mouth made up for his reluctant legs; he was busy-busy-busy trying to grab the reins, grab my gloves, grab my jacket. (Suggestions for quieting his busy-lips tendencies welcomed!) Still, the visitors all seemed thrilled with the ride, as you can see from their smiling faces. (You can also see Lance nibbling on Grandma's fingers in the first photo, and reaching for the mother's pocket flap in the third photo; ha!)
I love the little girl's hand progressively reaching forward to touch his neck. ;-)