To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Friday, July 8, 2016

Overcoming ennui

After riding so much at Cowboy Campmeeting, I seemed to lose my motivation. It started out reasonably enough. On Monday we were busy unpacking and putting away, and the horses got a well-earned break. Tuesday I worked a full day. Wednesday came and I intended to ride; really, I did. But truth be told, riding down the gravel lane and through the woods didn't excite me. After the miles of trail riding, I felt like dancing with Lance, but the arena footing was too dry for that. The day ended without saddle time.

While I was at work Thursday, it started to rain a little. Oh, good; the arena was getting watered! There was no time to ride that evening, so I looked forward to riding today between the forecast showers . . . which never materialized. The bit of precipitation on Wednesday left the footing little better than before and I still didn't feel like riding through the woods.

This evening I finally kicked myself in the rump and went down to the barn (I'd left the horses in because of the forecast rain). We worked in the arena carefully, and of course I felt much better for spending time with my good boy.

I would love to be able to set some goals and make some plans to show, but that's not in the cards for the foreseeable future. Still, I want to dance with my horse; there is nothing else like those moments when you move as one with lightness and grace in all three gaits. But hark – the rain is coming down again! Our arena should be well watered for rides on Sunday and Monday; I think I'll email Julie to see if we can take a lesson with her this Wednesday!

Mr. Busy Lips needs a job. ;-)

3 comments:

Theresa said...

A lesson with your best guy sounds just perfect! Hope it works out. I'm just gobsmacked that it is cool and moist in July here. I wish all summers could be like this but my heart still lies with winter. At least until the end of March. ;-)

A :-) said...

So glad you had that tool - that could have been a disaster.

thecrazysheeplady said...

I'm being snafu-ed by the hot humid weather :-(. Need a goal!