To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Friday, October 12, 2018

Checking in

Taken during a sunset ride in September
The squirrels are squirreling!
Hey-ho, it's autumn! The days are getting shorter; we've had a little rain but mostly glorious, perfect weather. The fall colors, the angle of the light, the cooler air all make me feel positively effervescent  at times – like yesterday afternoon. I got off work early and didn't have to drive to Salem to pick up my son (he's away on a junior/senior camping trip), so I called a friend to go for a trail ride. Unfortunately my truck battery was feeling puny, so Lance and I went for another ride around the hill, which is getting surprisingly better instead of worse. Even though grape harvest is in full swing, the vineyards aren't using as many noisemakers this year, and apparently none of the propane canons. Lance is handling the 'tweety birds' just fine. We also found our way through the logged area shown in my previous post, and ended up at a postcard-worthy vantage point.




Lance is coughing a bit more; I should probably start steaming the hay again now that the horses are mostly in their stalls/paddocks. They do get out to romp, though:


The coughing could be from the dust generated by the tractors working next door (where the boulders are two photos above) and/or the smoke, also from next door and neighbors. It is especially bad at night; I like to sleep with our window open but the smoke has been so strong it keeps me awake (so I close it and get too hot 😖).
Lance got a new High-Neck Ultimate Turnout Sheet after damaging yet another one; I think this is #3 – or maybe #4. SmartPak's 10-year replacement guarantee on the Ultimate has been the best deal on the planet for us. I also got another helmet during their annual helmet sale; it's the same model as my current one, just a different color.
We should be set for awhile!

2 comments:

Mary said...

oh, the new helmet is pretty!!!! I like the matte finish.
Your pics are gorgeous and I know we all wish for what we don't have...but I have to trail ride a few miles to a dirt road for a nice canter. There are spots along the way for short bursts, but Nick KNOWS every inch of the footing and cactus so he picks the pace. So I love the trails you have.

Michelle said...

I like the matte finish, too! The only place I can safely canter (as safely as one can canter a horse that has crashed in that gait under saddle twice!) is down the vineyard rows, Mary. The footing on the trails isn't as good as it looks in the photos. The trail in first photo showing Lance is covered with slag, and the dirt areas are very rutted and uneven. But I'm happy to be riding, and no complaints here about the scenery!