To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Thursday, May 14, 2020

But wait; there's more!


Yesterday afternoon I took Lance out for a ride. The weather has turned cool, cloudy and damp, so the arena isn't dusty – better for my asthmatic guy. After a good walking warm-up there, we went to the end of the gravel lane and back, stopping for a couple photos here and there and getting mail on the way home. We felt a few scattered raindrops, but made it back to the barn dry. I brought Stella in from the pasture where she had been enjoying turnout during our ride just in time for the skies to open up!
This is overflow from a failing gutter, but it WAS raining hard!

Well, that foiled my plans; I had my heart set on seeing the world through Morgan 'mare ears' for the first time, and Brian had said I could text him when I was ready and he'd help me. But showers come and go, so I texted Brian and proceeded with grooming and tacking her up. I thought if nothing else, I could mount her in her covered paddock (although a 'ceiling' is not ideal when getting an animal capable of launching you!). Thankfully the downpour ceased, and we headed to the arena.

It took a bit of coaching (on my part, of Brian) to get Stella in position along the arena fence; Brian is not as adept at moving a horse around and perhaps Stella was not as cooperative with him. But in the end, I, too, was able to mount her from both sides and see my gorgeous girl from a new angle:

Brian took some photos as well:

Hurray!

7 comments:

Alanna M said...

Well, it doesn't seem like it took you long at all to be able to sit on her. That's so exciting!!!

Michelle said...

Less than five months, but that's AGES by some people's standards!

Sam I Am...... said...

Oh, I am living vicariously through your beautiful world..especially the horse part! But it looks like we have everything in common even failing gutters! I miss horses and riding...not that I was very good but it stirred my soul to be on my horses. I loved everything about it; the feeding, the grooming, the exercising, even the hoof picking...well, maybe not that. LOL! I still have all my equipment as if I will ride again. Chances are slim! I could physically now but I no longer have any horses and being retired I couldn't afford them. So, I will watch you and the dressage shows and eventing on You Tube!
Enjoy!!!

Retired Knitter said...

She looked calmer today!

Jeanne said...

Oh boy! I am so thrilled for you!! It must have been so exciting, actually sitting in that saddle! Congratulations!

Michelle said...

Sam, I'm sad to hear you aren't getting riding or horse time anymore. Too bad we aren't neighbors; you could come over and ride with me!

It may just be the photos, Elaine; she was still pretty tense.

Yes, it was exciting, Jeanne. Tempting to ask for more, but I resisted.

A :-) said...

YES!!! You're on her!!!!