To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Channeling James Brown

"I feel good!"

A week ago tonight I tripped and landed on my side against the tractor hitch while showing someone what to do for weekend chores. I had just mailed off my show entry, and wondered if my injury (instead of Russell's for a change) would keep us from showing this time! We spent the weekend at a church snow camp, sleeping on summer camp bunks in sleeping bags, and my ribs were so uncomfortable I was sure I'd cracked one or two. When we got back Sunday I saddled up Russell just to see if I could, and managed to ride awhile at the walk and rising trot with tolerable discomfort; canter and sitting trot were definitely out. But Monday morning, after a night in my own comfy bed, I awoke feeling considerably better, so I decided to wait and see before bowing out of the show. I rode again Tuesday, and was able to canter. I rode tonight, and was able to sit the trot! Not only that, Russell felt good tonight and really good Tuesday, "uphill" and forward. So James Brown is grooving on my mental record player (yes, I'm that old) while we dance: "We feel good!"

4 comments:

Danni said...

Oh, Michelle - I'm glad you're ok!
I live in constant fear of hurting myself out here on our little farm.. I have a tendency to twist/sprain/break my ankles and this is my #1 worry when I'm working outside by myself. There's just SO MUCH to do, you know? We can't get hurt!!
(So here's a confession - I had NO idea you were such an accomplished horseman (horsewoman? horseperson? I've learned something new about you today - I can't wait to read more!)

Michelle said...

Thank-you, Farmgirl, both for your concern and your compliment! I'm at a different place in life right now, homeschooling my son, but before him and through his toddler years I trained and showed regularly (through Prix St. George, plus a few one-day horse trials) and did pretty well. In fact, selling my two horses before Russell helped pay to build our house!

Marie said...

I am so glad you both are feeling so good. There is nothing like riding a 'good ride' to brighten your day.
Prix St. George is quite an accomplishment! I showed dressage briefly when I was younger, but worked through high school and junior college at a dressage farm outside of Olathe, KS. Freedom Hill was the name of the farm.

Laura said...

Glad to hear you're on the mend. I'm hoping to ride this weekend for a bit, too.

Get on up, yeah!