To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Unexpected company

Whee; I managed to school Larry three days in a row this week, starting with Sunday! (Spent yesterday in the hospital with my son; hope to get back on today.)

As I led Larry into the arena on Tuesday, I saw a small dark spot in the sand – then it moved. I walked closer (this is why my camera is almost always slung around my neck), and saw it was a mole.




It didn't act well. I got a manure fork from the barn and gently moved it into the grassy strip between arena and barn, where it promptly headed into the leaf litter – then it stopped. It was still there at the end of my ride, motionless in death.

1 comment:

Laura said...

They are so cool - I love their "hands" and their squinty, unseen eyes. Their fur is incredibly soft. To have it come out during the day was a good indicator that it wasn't well. RIP little digger...