To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Enjoying my pony

I've been having good rides on Lance. His walk/trot and trot/canter transitions have been really nice; better, I think, than before his stall rest/walk-only recuperation period. I've continued to use the Wintec, except for one short bareback ride to see how he felt with no saddle. We did walk, trot, and canter – which he picked up but then quickly fell back to trot, where he clearly felt more comfortable.

He seems to be indicating being happiest being ridden with the Wintec, so the Wintec it is for now. I am trying to schedule a lesson/evaluation with Suzan Davis Atkinson, the trainer I've used and learned from the most. I'll take all three saddles and see what she sees and thinks; she has the best "eye" of anyone Rick or I know. (Rick has even taken her along to consult on a couple lameness exams.)

I'd better get out there and ride now, before it heats up too much. We're going from needing a fire in the wood-burner to stay comfortable on Sunday, to highs in the 80s by Thursday!

1 comment:

Mary said...

I am so happy for you and Lance. It's fun to see the relationship build, isn't it?