To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Beware the wild winds!

The Polar Vortex has extended its reach into the NW corner of Oregon. After a warmer than average fall, today's chilly temperatures and stiff wind have been a bit of a shock to the system. Playing it prudent, I turned Lance loose in the arena before our schooling session. After being a horse kite on the line to the arena, I had to laugh when his first order of business in the arena was a mouthful of maple leaves.
Ha; it looks like he's eating Brian's treehouse!

But then. Oh, then! The wind-witches came screaming through the trees and sent Lance scrambling.
Yikes; look at the torque on those front legs!

I enjoyed the show while holding my breath against injuries. Afterwards, we had a nice, short ride. Thank goodness for Polarfleece breeches!

I have a lesson scheduled with Julie on Thursday; I'm really looking forward to that.

5 comments:

Mary said...

eek, he really crossed his front feet there...

Mary Ann said...

I'm so glad you were not on his back!

Maggie said...

Wow my cat goes a bit crazy in the wind but this is something else! Lance is so beautiful. Enjoy your lesson. X

A :-) said...

Sounds like the Santa Anas that blow in from the desert in Southern California. Everyone goes a little wonky when the Santa Ana winds blow . . .

He's looking really handsome, Michelle :-)

Michelle said...

Mary, I didn't really need to see that, but the camera doesn't lie.

Me, too, Mary Ann. But he was really good under saddle afterwards.

I think so, too, Maggie. Had to reschedule the lesson, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it when it happens.

I remember those Santa Ana, Adrienne!