To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Thursday, December 24, 2015

Sadness and joy

It's been a tough 24 hours or so. When I got home from work yesterday, there was an email waiting in my inbox. One of our dressage chapter members was killed in a head-on crash Monday (news report here), just 10 miles from here. She was to retire this week; her husband had just retired on Saturday, and they were looking forward to retirement together. Eight days earlier we were at a Christmas party together, having a lovely time; now she is gone. It's been weighing heavy on my heart, my head; my coping skills are shot.

Blessed with a dry day, I took Lance out for a Christmas Eve ride. We warmed up in the arena, then went down the gravel lane. I thought about Kristy and her two horses, about how unpredictable life is. I look forward to heaven, but feel the loss here and now nonetheless.



“So you must match time's swiftness with your speed in using it, and you must drink quickly as though from a rapid stream that will not always flow.”
—Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

7 comments:

Theresa said...

Oh Michelle, what a sad holiday start. Sometimes the best place to think and heal is on the back of horse. Hope yours put a little magic and comfort back into the season. Hugs!

Alanna M said...

What a tragedy. I'm so sorry for your loss and yet thankful we have the hope of eternal life in heaven. Hang in there!

thecrazysheeplady said...

{{{hug}}}

Sheepmom said...

So terribly sorry. No one can know the hour that's appointed to us or our loved ones.

Mary said...

Michelle, what a sad way to bring in the holidays, and your poor friend and family! That is truly heart wrenching. I hope you are able to get some balance as the shock wears off. Hugs to you.

Michelle said...

Thank-you all. The news really knocked the wind out of me, but I'm breathing again. I hope there is a service that her horse friends can attend in order to let her husband know we feel a small part of his loss.

emma said...

very sorry for the loss of your friend :(