To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Pony rides

Last week my neighbor called to ask for a favor. Saturday evening they were having company, including two nieces who I had given pony rides to (on Russell) around five years ago. The girls have remembered that visit fondly over the years, and their grandfather recently committed suicide, so my neighbor was hoping I could let them ride again as a pleasant diversion. How could I say no?

Since Russell, my dressage-partner/babysitter-extraordinare, is living a life of retired ease elsewhere, I turned to Breezy, Brian's been-there-done-that pony, and Lance. As green as Lance is I didn't plan on turning anyone loose on him, but figured he's mellow enough to use as a lead-line horse.

The girls are 10 and 13 now with some riding experience from summer camp, and in the end I was able to turn them both loose as I stood to the side. Once again, I was so pleased with my colt!

2 comments:

Mary said...

excellent for Lance-I think everyone probably had some fun with this. :-) I'll be keeping the family in my thoughts.

Briana said...

Aw good boy Lance! :)