To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Proof of perspiration!

Low-key fellow that he is, Lance doesn't readily sweat. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen him work up a sweat! Granted, I have never worked him very hard, trying as I am to condition him very carefully after his suspensory injury followed by four months of stall rest and hand-walking.

Today, as usual, I didn't work him long or hard. First I rode him to the mailbox and back at a walk. Then I worked him in the arena for awhile. Afterwards, he was actually a little sweaty!

Not a lot, but at least I know now that his cooling system works. ;-)  (The weather wasn't warm, but it was muggy.)

With a show coming up I am more mindful of working Lance intentionally. Another horse blogger is also getting ready for a show, and her recent blog post was a timely reminder of the pitfalls of riding alone. Fortunately, Julie is back in town, and Lance and I will be taking a lesson from her this week – yay! I'm picking up the saddle I'm trying sometime Thursday, and will take it with me to get Julie's input on its fit. All of a sudden it feels like things are gaining momentum; I'm getting excited!

2 comments:

thecrazysheeplady said...

Ugh. We're all sweating like that just standing around.

Mary Ann said...

I have not read about Lance and your riding for a while, so it's good to get caught up!