To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Friday, January 10, 2020

Born to be mild

My 'training journal' notebook arrived, but until I have time to transfer all my notes to paper, I'm going to keep posting daily progress here.

Yesterday Stella was very good for my farrier while he trimmed all four feet. They were overdue; he took at least a 1/2" off both back feet and improved her angles significantly (I should have taken a photo but didn't). Afterwards I turned her loose in the arena while I exercised Lance; all she did was walk around or stand, so he didn't mind her at all this time.

Today I saddled Stella, pulled up the girth with no fidgeting from her, and then led her to the arena and lunged her. Mind you, that's only the 4th time the saddle's been on her back, the 3rd time the girth was added, the 2nd time I've snugged up the girth, and the 1st time I've lunged her with a saddle. Her reaction? Nada. No bucking or running, no humping up; nothing. What a rock star!



3 comments:

Retired Knitter said...

Baby steps! Don't understand all the terminology but I get the picture of one step at a time. She is going to be a great horse - because she has someone who is easing her gently into everything that is expected. Did you have to do this same thing with Lance?

Retired Knitter said...

Wow, I went back to the beginning of this blog - you had a horse named Russell! When did you get Lance? Was he already ride-able when you got him?

Michelle said...

Yes, Elaine; Russell is the horse I'm riding in the header photo. I met and 'purchased' (he was a trade-out on a client's outstanding account) Lance in the fall of 2012; he came home seven years ago this month. He had basic training and could be ridden when I got him.