To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Wednesday, January 29, 2020

One-month anniversary

I realized this morning while exercising Stella that it was a month ago today that I brought her home. Thirty days; some horses make a lot of progress in 30 days' training. Stella? Not so much. She is still wary and flighty, not much more trusting than when she arrived. She is smart, but oh, so sensitive. I like those qualities and her energy; she is going to make an AWESOME dancing partner . . . some day . . . I think.

A lot of trainers would take a "desensitizing" approach with Stella; doing things like sacking her out. But I've come to believe that such treatment doesn't desensitize a horse, it overwhelms their senses until they shut out and shut down – or completely freak out and hurt themselves. I don't want a 'shut down' horse and I certainly don't want an injured basket case; I want a relationship in which she can trust that I am her 'safe place.' Then we can make progress, instead of just working on the same basics of catching, haltering, grooming, tacking, and lunging, all with the same reactivity she came with. Reactivity that would make more sense in an abused horse, not an unhandled one.... Hmmm; makes me think I should go spend some time with the owners of Lance's sire. They regularly gentle and train mustangs rounded up by the BLM; I'm sure I could learn some things.

Anyway, this week I'm managing to exercise ONE horse a day, shooting for the driest period in which to do it – and by 'driest' I mean when it's sprinkling instead of pouring. 😕 Yesterday was Lance's turn and yes, we got wet again.


He is still eating slowly and acting more compromised than usual. I'm wondering if he has ongoing internal problems from the hay that irritated his mouth so. Rick said he's seen four other horses suffering from hay like this, and one of them had ulcers in his throat....

Back to Stella; she is shedding furiously:

I can hardly wait to see her 'naked' so I can keep a better eye on her condition and development; if I devoted myself to grooming several hours a day I could probably have her down to her 'summer undies' by the end of the week! This is definitely the time of year to avoid wearing lip balm to the barn....

Here is a video of her walking on the lunge line this morning, nice and relaxed, with good overstride:

3 comments:

Jeanne said...

It's hard to believe that you've had Stella a month already! I hope and pray that she will become more trusting and all that good stuff. She's such a beauty.

I pray, too, that Lance will improve. I hate to think of a dear friend of yours feeling poorly.

Retired Knitter said...

She will take time and consistency and a gentle trusting hand, but in the end I would bet she will be a sensational horse. She is in good hands.

My son rescued a female dog at 2 years of age. She was not abused. Her former owner was an older lady who died from cancer and the dog was returned to the shelter she left as a puppy. She was a shy, quiet soul and spent a month in a noisy shelter until my daughter-in-law found her. She found her forever home with them, but it took over a year of careful tendering until she believed it. NOW she is one fabulous exceedingly SMART loving dog. Really, her vocabulary is enormous, she is obedient, loving, careful around my grand daughter. Careful with me when my knee is acting up. I can't imagine missing out on such a great dog.

I think you will have the same success story!

Michelle said...

Jeanne, I do think Stella will come around. Unfortunately, Lance won't improve. His conditions are chronic and incurable....

I think you're right, Elaine, it will just take time – and maybe reverting to the methods that have worked well for me for decades! I don't think it will take long to see....