To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Monday, January 6, 2020

Lots more baby steps

In addition to spending time just getting to know her, cleaning her stall and feeding her, Stella and I continue to take baby steps forward every day. I've ordered a 5"x7" notebook with her photo on it in which to document our journey, but until that comes, I will keep recording our daily progress here.

On January 2, I tied her in her stall and slipped a saddle pad on her back, and then carefully added my ancient, lightweight all-purpose Wintec saddle sans stirrups and girth.

She was great with being tied and accepting of having items placed carefully on her back; I couldn't have been more pleased. I decided that the next day's baby step would be to add a girth.

Total Saddle Fit makes an awesome Shoulder Relief girth that Lance appreciates, and with Stella's well laid-back shoulder, I knew it would help ensure her comfort, too. The company only has one sale a year which happened to occur right after I looked at Stella the first time, so I had to act 'impulsively' to get the discount. I made my best guess on size and figured I could exchange it if it was the wrong size, or return it if she didn't end up becoming mine. When I opened the package on January 3 to try it on her, the paperwork stated that all returns and exchanges had to be made within 30 days of receipt, and the 3rd was exactly 30 days from when I received it! I took it to the tack room and found that it was very close to the same length as a straight girth I have, so I used the straight girth to check sizing (Stella was too muddy and sweaty from playing in the pasture to try on "new clothes").

Stella wasn't at all sure about the feeling of the girth around her middle, so I didn't fasten it snugly. But the size I ordered should work by the time she is ready for a rider. In the meantime, I think it will hold the saddle in place well enough for her to get used to tack while doing groundwork; yay!

On January 4, I started recall training. I have been putting a horse cookie in her feeder along with her alfalfa and rice bran pellets every day to see if she would develop a taste for them, and they have disappeared. Now that I had something she might consider a reward, I cued her by thumping my chest with my fist (an audible and visual cue), then extending my fist and 'nodding' it (visual cue and curiosity-provoker). At first I stood close enough that she only had to stretch out her nose a little bit to gently touch my extended fist. When she did I said "X" and opened my hand to reveal a horse cookie for her, which she took as gently as a whisper. I took a step away and repeated the process; she caught on right away. She's bright, just like her name!

Saturday night it turned rainy and windy and that continued through Sunday and most of today. So on Sunday we stayed under cover and had a nice, long grooming session. The wind rattling the barn seemed to rattle her, so I tied Stella up to keep her from moving nervously in and out of her stall. Once tied she relaxed and seemed to enjoy my ministrations; I went over her from head to tail.

By the time I got home from work and picking up Brian this afternoon, the rain had stopped so I headed out to exercise both my horses. First I lunged Lance, and then Stella. She had been introduced to the concept by her breeder but still wasn't confident about what we were doing. But as I said, she's bright and made excellent progress!

Between the weather and other things demanding my attention, I haven't had the opportunity to get astride my mustang, and I need to keep my riding muscles in shape. Maybe we can dodge the raindrops tomorrow....

3 comments:

Retired Knitter said...

Thought I would stop in here and take a look at the pictures. I know nothing about horses, but she sure does look like a beautiful animal. I guess all horses go through this same process of getting used to "clothes" and riders. Just just wild horses! Have you done this before? How long does it take? Guess the goal is to always take forward steps and avoid any backward steps to keep that relationship positive.

Jeanne said...

I'm thoroughly enjoying reading about the lovely Stella! Thanks so much for sharing!
She surely is intelligent!
I'm looking forward to her next episode.

Michelle said...

For knowing nothing about horses, Elaine, you sure summed up training one well! Yes, I've done this before (and really enjoy it!), although it's been awhile since starting one "from scratch." I'm going slow with Stella because i feel she needs more physical/muscle development to safely carry a rider.

An update is coming as soon as I have time to write it, Jeanne, with LOTS more photos!