To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Friday, January 1, 2010

My New Year's Day tradition

The first morning of the new year, I headed down in the rain to do chores. As I finished up, the sun broke out. I didn't think twice about seizing the moment for the one New Year's tradition I have. Ever since I was a teenager in Texas, I've tried to start each new year on horseback, and I've rarely missed out. I was afraid that this year I'd have to settle for sitting on Russell's back in his stall, because it has been raining a LOT. Instead I was blessed, just long enough for a short ride down our road and back, with this:
As the saying goes, the outside of a horse is good for the inside of a (wo)man. The way a good ride can make your whole day better doesn't make sense, but I'm okay with that. I didn't ask Russell for anything fancy - he's not in shape for that; we mostly walked with just enough trot and canter to say we did it. But it felt good, and gave me hope that Russell and I can spend more time dancing together this year than we did last year, and have a good time doing it.Amen.

1 comment:

allhorsestuff said...

Lovely to see you got to ride today too!
News Years Day riding is the best way to start a year!!!
KK