To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Saddle up!

In the midst of the holidays and well into the rainy season, I am still getting in 2-3 rides a week (except for just one ride during the week of Thanksgiving) and am pretty happy with that. With our weather and my responsibilities (including being a homeschooling mom and part-time home business owner), that is probably the most I can hope for.

I rode on Monday, but the rest of the week looked like a wash according to the weatherman. Still, sometimes we get breaks between showers, and today we got a nice, long one. I jumped at the chance. Since the arena was too sloppy to use, I suggested to Brian that he ride with me so I could head down the road. When he declined I turned it into a mandate. After all, his pony needs exercise and a reason to justify all the care and expense involved in having her. He ended up having a great time, even though she sent him tumbling over her head early in the ride. That's what the helmet is for....
We really do live in a scenic area, built up as it has gotten to be. I love our green winters, too. I remember how brown and barren the Midwest was in the winter (except when covered with snow), and I definitely prefer green.
(You know it's wet when both moss and ferns grow in the trees!)

Russell says the best part of the ride was the apple at the end. ;-)

No comments: