To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Friday, December 23, 2011

Family portrait

Russell met his new family yesterday (all except the husband/dad). Russell hadn't been out for over a week, so for them it was a good demonstration of his stellar nature and training. After all four of them took turns riding him around the arena, I got on and briefly "put him through his paces." With them he walked quietly and slowly; when I got on and gathered up the reins, he put on his "show face."

I've been having cold feet about letting Russell go, but felt better after watching them and talking with the mom. The plan is that the mom will come back next Thursday morning when the farrier is here to get instruction on how Russell's feet have been managed, after which she will take him home. My stomach is in knots already, but I do think it's a good fit for them and for my wonderful "Muscle Man." Will there be another dancing partner for me in the near future? I hope and pray so. In the meantime, I'll throw my leg over Brian's pony or one of the little Quarter Horses in the barn so my muscles stay ready. As for my heart, it may be sore for awhile....

5 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Oh, Michelle, I'll say a special prayer for you (and for Russell) tonight. I know it's so hard for you, but I feel in my heart you are doing the right thing.

TBDancer said...

Russell has fallen into another "tub of butter," and he will be fine. It's not like you'll never see him again--aren't you going to see his new "mom" from time to time?

Loved the picture of the child on Russell, who looks perfectly happy. What a wonderful gift you have given that family. As for Russell, he will have groceries and a job to do. That's the best gift of all.

A :-) said...

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow, my friend. Bittersweet . . . it seems to be in both our lives this December.

Unknown said...

I remember gifting my mare to another family. She was nothing fancy, but had been my partner through the difficult times of my teenage and young adult years. We were well suited to each other.

I'm happy to say that she brought happiness to her new family, and lived out the rest of her years with them, brightening their lives with her unique personality. I was fortunate enough to get regular updates on her antics and see the smiles she brought.

Michelle said...

Thank-you, all of you. Russell just left for his new home. I hope his future is as bright as your mare's was, Shelly. He's been a very special horse, helping raise my son and keeping us all safe.