To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Sunday, January 1, 2012

My New Year's tradition

The one thing I try to do every year on New Year's Day - some way, somehow - is get on the back of a horse. With Russell gone, I took Brian's pony Breezy for a spin around the arena this morning, since she is the only one remaining who's been ridden English. I don't know that she was thrilled, but she was pretty good considering my size and the fact that Brian asks little-to-nothing of her in the way of correctness. Since Russell was the only one getting any regular attention, the three remaining equines are in much need of conditioning. Might as well address that as much as possible while I'm waiting to see if there is another dressage partner in my future!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely... in my younger years (many years and many years ago) I rode western and my sister was into dressage... you've brought back memories! Happy New Year!

Theresa said...

Breezy looked like she handled it all very well as the new temporary "dancing" partner. Even if it isn't the "one" right now, the view from a horses back, be they small or large, is pretty darn nice. Here's hoping 2012
brings you that new partner!