To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Monday, October 8, 2012

Horton's dead!

Okay, not really, but he sure looked it yesterday afternoon. ;-)

 What self-respecting horse doesn't shake himself off when he gets up? Not that it would have helped much; we are so dry right now that static electricity is at an all-time high.

Enough silliness; we have milestones to celebrate! Last week I put away the lungeline and whip; the mounting block, too. Horton has been so good for so long that there was no need to clutter up the arena with those training tools any longer. He stands quietly and lets me slip into the saddle from the arena fence, and I'd have to look back through my posts to remember the last time he needed remedial lunging. In fact, I've gotten so confident in his improvement that yesterday and today I rode with my spurs while schooling him. Nope, they weren't an issue. (But wearing them sure helped me remember to keep my heels down and away from him!)


"Horton, Horton, I've been thinking
What a fine boy you've become.
And you'll just keep getting better;
Soon you'll go home to your mom."

1 comment:

sylkan said...

Yay, dead, as in "dead" broke would be nice.
Static electricity so bad over here that the tails are all spread out and clinging to rumps and legs, and zapping everybody who touches them. Pulling fly sheets off is also fun. Bet it would be quite a light show in the dark. Horton is smart boy to sleep in the sun while he can. Rain in the forcast by end of the week.