To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Moon over my hammy

Seriously, Lance is pig-fat! When Rick says that I feel defensive, but it's true. And Oliver is inexplicably LOSING weight this summer; our two horses are Jack Sprat and his wife, apparently. What to do, what to do? All they are getting is mature pasture during the day and a handful of alfalfa pellets to make the "medicine go down" (daily wormer, vitamin/mineral pellets, Lance's spirulena and flaxmeal for breathing issues) when they come in at night; I give Ollie a flake of hay to munch on but Lance fasts until morning. Part of the problem is that Lance utilizes every opportunity to EAT, while Ollie spending much of his time just standing.
Nap time is also snack time (back when he still got a little hay).

It's all in how you stand; Lance doesn't look too bad in this photo!

Horses are designed to constantly graze so we ALL know that more exercise is the key. I'm doing my best to help Lance with that, carefully utilizing our arena and riding where I can on our hill. Unfortunately, the big field close to our house is being developed into several building lots, so we'll lose that area soon. 😞 There's just less and less available space to ride up here, although last night we rode down through the woods and then back up along the edge of a vineyard. It was lovely.

I used to ride all over that land years ago when it was in Christmas trees. Vineyards are busier (and more valuable), and I don't know who owns it or if they would be okay with me riding around it. I need to investigate that.

If Lance was shod, I'd be willing to use the gravel roads more. He has big, hard feet, but develops grooves where his white lines are and collects small rocks there (and bigger ones along his frogs).
Our farrier comes tomorrow; I'm still waffling about have Lance shod at least on his front feet.

Oh, I may have a fourth student. After watching me give student #2 a lesson last Thursday, she said she liked my methods and asked if she could take lessons as well! We haven't set up a time and place yet, but it sounds promising.

4 comments:

sylkan said...

Good for you, hoping to see some photos of your students' horses.

Michelle said...

I've shown the two OTTBs, #3 is using Lance for now, and #4's mare is in rehab so she's deciding whether to use her dad's horse or borrow one of #2's horses for lessons.

Mary said...

Lance could be your lesson horse? Would that be a possibility to add exercise?

Michelle said...

Mary, he IS the lesson horse for student #3, but she's only been out twice so far. I do have concerns that make it mentally hard to push him. Besides the Inflammatory Airway Disease, he's been stumbling periodically, which, combined with his history of suspensory injuries, has Rick suspicious that he has neck issues....