To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Wednesday, August 11, 2021

An apple for an A+ student!


This morning during our schooling session, I trotted Stella through the cavalletti from the short approach twice, and both times she picked up the canter and maintained it to the end of the arena! Of course I told her how well she did and immediately let her cool out on a loose rein, then we walked up the driveway and into the upper pasture. I had seen some color on the apple tree closest to our garden and wanted to check it out up close. I have no idea what kind this is but they sure are tasty. Lance and Stella agree; they have pruned the lower leaves and fruit, but I was able to reach this beauty and another one from Stella's back. We rode back to the barn, where I untacked her and rewarded her with some apple. Then I led her out to the horse trailer, where she loaded up twice without hesitation, and got more apple for her efforts. I've been smiling all day....

Rick gave Lance a shot of Pentosan tonight to see if it will help his itchiness and hives. It might help his neck arthritis as well. I met up with an old horse friend this afternoon, and she suggested an explanation for Lance's one-off 'seizure' that makes sense. When he lifted his head as I started wiping fly repellent on his face, he may have experienced a nerve impingement that caused sudden, sharp pain. That certainly could have caused the seizure-like reaction, and would explain why I haven't seen anything before or since. I'm still hesitant to ride him again, because that impingement could happen under saddle, too. But he's still my big, red goober, and he's being a great companion for Stella.

2 comments:

A :-) said...

Oh Lance . . . :-(

Michelle said...

I know, A. And he really WANTS me to mess with HIM; doesn't understand why I'm always doing stuff with Stella now.