To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Proof

I'm still riding; see our tracks?

Russell and I got in three rides last week because the weather ended up less wet than forecast, and then didn't manage to dance again until today. It was cold, damp and grey and all I wanted to do was huddle up inside, but Debbie's lessons have moved to Thursday so I had to face the chill. Knowing that once I got out and moving it would be easier to STAY out, I donned my polarfleece breeches and paddock boots, headband and warm coat, and when I got home after Debbie's lesson I went straight to the barn to tack up Russell. Debbie and I are both thinking about riding Third Level tests at our local dressage chapter's show the first weekend in March, so I worked with Debbie on various movements. That inspired me to come home and work on some specific things myself, along with the general strengthening and conditioning we always do.

The view from the arena, looking east. I do have an audience; see them? Here; let me zoom in on one for you:
Too bad the deer don't have opposable thumbs; it would be nice to have photos of Russell and me to post more often!

2 comments:

BobbieNoSocks said...

Rain's better than snow... huh?

Michelle said...

Definitely, Bobbie! When we had a stretch of frozen weather recently, the footing in the arena was rock hard - UNEVEN rocks; too dangerous to ride in.