To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The wheels are turning


After a busy day, I finally got to work Cohort in the gathering dusk this evening. I was curious to see how he would act after yesterday's lesson, and I didn't have long to find out. After some walking and trotting with hints of hesitation, he sulled up. I had everything at the ready, and within seconds he was galloping around at the end of the lunge line. I kept him going several rounds past when he was ready to slow down, and then brought him back to the mounting block. We walked and then picked up the trot. Cohort wasn't going in a nice frame, and frequently considering misbehaving again (especially going to the right), but when I responded with a stern guttural correction, he thought better of it and kept moving. We trotted and walked and trotted again, including some lateral work. All the while he was clearly thinking; thinking about balking and then thinking better of it. I didn't ride long; the only place he worked up a sweat that I could see was under the girth. But if brain cells can sweat, I'm sure Horton's mental gears were well lubed!

2 comments:

TBDancer said...

"stern guttural correction." Love it. So much better because Sir Cohort doesn't know WHAT is coming, but whatever it is, it's not worth being even MORE resistant so he'll find out. ;o) An interesting journey you're embarking on. I'm enjoying your adventure.

sylkan said...

I'm so happy with how you are reaching his brain. Boot Camp!!!!