To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Lazy, lovable Lance

Yesterday I put Lance in the arena for some exercise. Had to shush him around with the lunge whip to get him to exercise, because after rolling,

this is all he really wants to do:

So shush him around I did, with camera at the ready. I caught him in a lovely uphill, positive DAP trot,

and a lofty moment of canter.

But he's always looking to either stop and grub around, or come trotting up to me. Have I mentioned lately how much I like this horse?

Lance isn't a 'dressage horse' (as opposed to a horse who does dressage); he doesn't have the natural self-carriage and suspension that comes from generations of breeding for the sport, or the fire that makes for a brilliant (if difficult) competitor. But I know from experience how dressage can transform a horse from an 'ugly duckling' into a 'swan,' and Lance is by no means an ugly duckling – just a young goose. ;-)

2 comments:

Mary said...

I know exactly what you are saying. I feel as though dressage is beneficial to every horse, no matter what their possible role will be. My horse, Nick, is not a candidate for competition, but he can learn to carry himself and be more athletic through gymnastic exercise. Lance looks wonderful in those photos.

Theresa said...

There are many charms with lazy horses you know ;) Lance is so handsome and I'm sure when he really needs to get the lead out of it, he will. Sounds like he is a kind sweet boy.