To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Rockin' and rollin'

The horses got another good taste of spring grass this afternoon. After tomorrow, the coming week is supposed to be warm and dry, so I anticipate being able to turn them often, if not every day. That should help stretch our hay supply until this year's cutting is available.

I managed the 'herd' the same way as the first time they were turned out together. First I turned Lance into the arena by himself. He rolled, ran and bucked – for about a minute and a half. Then he looked for something to eat.
Helpful Lance pruning the maples that overhang the arena

I turned him out into the pasture,

and went and got the other three to work out their kinks in the arena before meeting up with Lance in the pasture. Oh, how they cut up!



Who knew Ollie is the most valuable horse we own?!? (With inflation, each rollover has to be worth $1000 now, not the $100 I heard as a child. :-)

2 comments:

Mary said...

6 times! Wow. The small bay is adorable-is it yours? oh, and I saw that you commented on my blog. Yes, trail ride!!!

Michelle said...

That adorable little bay (with nice movement!) is Brian's 20-something pony of unknown parentage, and the only mare on the place.