To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Gettin' itchy

Since discovering that my old Wintec doesn't bite Lance's back, I've been riding out and about on the hill every chance I get. Even though the available territory has been severely curtailed by various kinds of development, riding where I can still brings back lots of memories of years and horses past. I think that is why I have a fierce itch to go to the beach and ride. My beach-riding buddy (who no longer has "big" horses) reminded me recently that we used to haul our horses to the beach once a week – back when we both obviously had way more time and much lower fuel costs!

Last night before taking Lance out for a hack, I measured his foot to see if my EasyBoots are the right size for him. Nope; they are size 2; he needs size 3. (Anyone need a lightly used pair of EasyBoot Epics?) Fortuitously, Laura had forwarded to me an email promotion for Cavallo Simple Boots with her personal recommendation, so this morning I ordered a pair of those. Lance has really good feet and I've been keeping him off the gravel roads as much as possible, but we would have more riding options if I wasn't avoiding rocks.

And yes, Lance is itchy, too. It has been unusually hot here for May, and the horses can't get out of their winter coats fast enough for comfort. Lance really appreciates a good neck or chest scratch, along with a thorough grooming; it's been awhile since I've had a horse who does!

No comments: