To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

From whence cometh this energy?

This morning when I turned the horses out, Lance and Oliver were turbo-charged!





I haven't ever seen Lance play this much. He's turned out every day, so it wasn't pent-up energy, and it was a warm morning, so it wasn't frosty-frisky energy. Could it possibly be that our more focused dressage schooling is building muscle, and this was fit-and-feeling-fine energy?

The proof was in today's lesson. Because of Rick's schedule, I wasn't able to take a lesson until 4:00 this afternoon – when the temperature was in the low 90s. While the lesson arena is covered and there was some air movement, the footing had just been watered so it was quite humid inside. I didn't know if Lance would have any "go" at all.

Julie and I were both pleasantly surprised! Lance worked very well, with good energy. We went through both the tests I will be riding in two and a half weeks, and developed a plan of action for his trouble spots (maintaining a consistent right bend, and the right lead canter depart). Julie remarked several times how much he's improved since our first lesson with her less than two weeks ago. Yay Lance!

4 comments:

Theresa said...

Horseplay is a wonderful thing. I like to think of it as self exercising. I could watch them all day play. And yay for Lance on advancing his skills in just two weeks!

Laura said...

Yay, indeed!!

Unknown said...

Silly boys! I think they're both still trying to turn Miss Breezy's head.

Michelle said...

I agree, Theresa, both on the exercising and the entertainment!

I'm so pleased with him, Laura!

You know, Shelly, I'll be you're correct.