To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Summertime, and the livin' is dusty

Friday evening sky

Busy weekend here, with my guys out of town on a short backpacking trip. Rode Lance briefly Friday evening; it took more time to clean him up than I spent on his back! He was so dusty I was suspicious that dirty little elves had dumped bags of fine, red flour all over him and then kept him from shaking. I transferred a good portion of it to me while grooming him, so as soon as I was done, I went to the house and took a shower. Rode him again this morning and he was worse, if possible; we got a brief shower yesterday afternoon so some of the dust (on him, not the ground) had turned to mud. Ugh. I would have bathed him if I thought he wouldn't stop, drop and roll at the first opportunity.

With the State Fair coming up in 2 1/2 weeks, I've been adding some new things to our schooling sessions. I'd still like to get over to the facility with the trail obstacles, but our camper is still on the pick-up waiting for an opening at the RV center to fix the refrigerator, and I'd rather not haul with the camper. (Won't be going to the beach tomorrow, either; the friend who was going to haul can't go.) So for now I'm working on making Lance more maneuverable, moving his hindquarters, moving his front end, side-passing, backing. I need to find an old tarp to see if he'll walk on it, and put down some poles for things like a keyhole.

4 comments:

Briana said...

Hehe, the dust elves have been busy here too--and I think River's in league with them!

Mary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary said...

I am going to be setting up some trail obstacles also. The teeter bridge and mailbox are 2 I'd like to work on. Woodrow is hopeless at trail-he is a point and go horse and gets tense when asked for small maneuvers. Now...Nick may love this stuff, and I am looking for ways to reward his work. Have you read The Bombproof Horse?

Michelle said...

Briana, the dust is even worse than shedding hair! Wish we had year-round green pastures....

Mary, I haven't heard of that book (not much time for personal reading when you're a homeschooling mom who would rather ride, spin or knit in her 'free' time!). And I never even CONSIDERED a teeter bridge; yikes! Yesterday I did drag out a blue tarp; didn't even spread it out nice and flat. Lance walked on it without a glance. I get the mail on horseback often, and we do gates as a matter of course. Backing around two barrels in a figure-8 and such things are likely to be our biggest challenge....