To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Friday, November 3, 2017

Apparently it's a thing

I follow US Equestrian on Instagram, and yesterday they posted this:

The day before (November 1) I had decided to lunge Lance just to do something different, and removed my stirrups. Today when I rode, I thought, “Why not?” and left them off.
We stayed in the arena and utilized the cavaletti in a new configuration.

Interestingly enough, Lance's trot felt better than usual, and cantering was awkward. It will be interesting to see how things develop this month!

3 comments:

Theresa said...

When I learned to ride as a kid, we started with no stirrups and learn fall off too. Whew, good thing it was a slow moving good natured fat pony named Cricket. I cried the day I outgrew her. So glad you have a nice ride on Sir Lancelot!

Kim said...

My coach was a big believer in no stirrups, and regularly made me ride without them, without reins and sometimes without sight. He made me yell "I trust my horse" until I did..... still love the memories.

Michelle said...

I rode mostly bareback, Theresa, so I guess that was "no stirrups all the time" - ha.

Wow, that's some serious coaching, Kim!