To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Signs of the time


A fat and fuzzy mustang, crunchy leaves, green grass, woolly sheep, smoke coming from the chimney, saddle sans stirrups – yep, this scene says November!

I'm trying to coordinate a lesson with an instructor I used and loved for years. (Difficulty coordinating time and place was why I switched to Julie, who has moved to SC.) I would like to long-line Lance sometimes rather than lunge him, but don't feel proficient at the finer points; Suzan is a master at long-lining. She worked with me and Russell once on long-lining years ago, but Russell did not like it. Hence my lack of proficiency!

3 comments:

Kim said...

I have to admit, I am not so proficient at long lining, but it is a useful skill. I got a couple months practice with a real master at it, many many (too many) years ago. I used it with youngsters fair bit, but never felt really good at it.....

Michelle said...

Basic long-lining was always part of starting youngsters for me, too, Kim, but what Suzan does and I want to be better at is schooling the fine points of dressage with it – like the Spanish Riding School does!

Mary said...

I long lined Nick a few times. I like it as an alternative to lunging and as a way to teach certain movements. You are more serious about dressage than I->we basically make up our own rules :-)