To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Friday, January 19, 2018

Mixing it up but keeping it moving

Lance has made it to "exercise class" every day but Thursday this week – and went twice today! (Rick turned the boys out in the arena while he worked on Ollie's paddock, and they played long and hard.)

I'd much rather increase Lance's exercise than reduce his hay to manage his weight, since horses are designed to graze throughout the day. Lance gets "hangry" between meals as it is; makes me wonder if he has ulcers. So regardless of how I feel (I've been so tired lately) or how much hustle it takes get through my to-do list, I've been dedicated to getting Lance moving in one way or another as often as possible. I do vary our activities for mental and physical benefit; besides schooling in the arena, utilizing our "gymnastic equipment," and riding down the lanes, I sometimes lunge him – which gives me the chance to photograph my handsome Lance. ;-)

The red-tailed hawks continue to ply the sky above our hill; I snagged a shot the day I lunged Lance:
The weather has been mostly gray and soggy this week, but I've been blessed with dry windows every time I've gone out to work with Lance. I always feel lucky when we dodge the raindrops!

2 comments:

Terry said...

I love that word - hangry. How had I not heard it before? It often applies to me! :)
So pleased to see Lance able to exercise.

Theresa said...

Lance looks lean after viewing my two fluffy fatties....
I saw a Red Tail at the Phoenix interchange, hanging on a sign support yesterday. We see them all over the place once the trees are bare. On my way down the mountain yesterday it was still almost dark when I left, glimpsed an owl.