To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Yuck

Yesterday I squeezed in an afternoon ride (mostly) between raindrops. The arena was sodden, so after our walking warm-up, we went down the lane and back to avoid damaging the footing. I asked for brief bits of lateral work, trot, and canter, but we mostly walked. Any more than that hardly seemed fair, because when I went down to the barn and timed Lance's respirations just standing around in his stall, he was at 38 breaths/minute. He's also coughing some when I ask for more than a walk.  :-(

I'm going to thoroughly clean out and rebed his stall today, but other than that there's not much else I can do for my boy. At least he's holding his weight and not showing a heave line.

2 comments:

A :-) said...

I'm sorry - been hoping that all the stuff you've been doing would take care of his breathing issues better.

Mary said...

You are doing such a great job with Lance's health. It must be frustrating but from this perspective, I see a contented horse.