To ride dressage is to dance with your horse, equal partners in the delicate and sometimes difficult work of creating harmony and beauty.

Friday, February 16, 2018

Deja vu

Twice this week when I led Lance out of his stall, he was slightly (but noticeably) lame in the right front – preceded and followed by days when he looked completely sound. I asked Rick to check him out which he was able to do this morning, so of course this was one of Lance's sound days.  :-/

Unfortunately, intermittent lameness fits with suspensory injury, and Lance has had his share. When Rick did the pre-purchase exam in 2012 he found a small tear in Lance's right front suspensory, and Lance has had suspensory injuries in other legs since. But how could he have injured something lately? He hasn't done anything strenuous enough to hurt himself!

I'm not sure when Rick will do more diagnostics; all he had time for this morning was a basic lameness exam. Until I know more there will be no saddle time; I don't want to make anything worse. :-(

2 comments:

Theresa said...

Oh Michelle, I'm so sorry. Could he have reinsured himself out in the pasture with Ollie the other day? Here's hoping for a quick recovery.

Michelle said...

No, he was lame before that. And I didn't turn them out in the slippery pasture over just such concerns, but in the level, stable sand footing of our arena.